Friday 11 October 2013

It Beets Chemicals!

   
      In my quest to rid myself of chemicals I decided to try and make my own makeup. Originally, I was going to pamper myself and purchase some nature-based make-up until I realized THEY TOO have chemicals in them! I did fall in love with a tinted moisturizer from the Tarte line, it has a base of amazonian clay! I then looked up my lovely tinted moisturizer on the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database and it scored a 4, not great. I want my makeup to be low-to-no hazard which means UNDER 2, which   may mean making make-up in my kitchen. If you are curious about your own makeup this database can give you lots of information about what is in your makeup good or bad.
   
     So, I started my make-up making journey with a face powder and I have to say it was quite successful! I love that it smells like cinnamon and I love that I know exactly what is in it!

Homemade Face Powder
* Inspired by sara@my merry messy life

2 T   arrowroot powder
1 1/2 t   cinnamon, nutmeg, or cocoa depending on your skin tone 
5-10 drops vegetable glycerin
5 drops essential oil (*optional)

    You want to start with 1 teaspoon of whichever spice you choose and add until you get to a shade that best matches your skin tone. If you want more of a pressed powder you can add more oil and press it out until it is more of a solid, I just leave mine lose :)

   I was so happy with my face powder that I decided to make a cheek-stain. The cheek stain was not as easy as the face powder, it was a bit annoying. Mostly, making cheek-stain was mostly annoying because I am pretty sure my dehydrator wasn't working, so it took much longer than it should have to dry out my beets. Eventually they were dried out, because I put the in the oven and it got easier.  

    There are lot of recipes on the internet for cheek-stain, but I decided to keep it simple :beet (powder) and water.
   I started by washing and slicing up my beets. Now, usually you can put your thinly-sliced beets in a dehydrated over night. If you don't have a dehydrator you can put your beets in the oven at about 120 degrees with the door slightly propped open to prevent moisture. Unfortunately when you turn your oven into a dehydrator, it will take as long as a dehydrator.

Preparing Your Beets

* wash and thinly slice 4-5 beets
* dehydrate your beets for 8-10 hours (over night)
* place your beet chips in a coffee grinder and grind to as fine of a powder as you can!
* add a tablespoon of arrowroot powder and mix it all up!
* place your beet blush in an air-tight container and store in a cool dark place (I keep mine in a drawer in my bathroom)

* you don't have to add any arrowroot powder I just found it applied easier and is more even.

    To use, you can just brush it on as a powder, but I found using it this way means your shirt also gets covered in blush and you don't get much color on you cheeks. 

    To apply I place a small amount of powder in a ramekin and add a 1/4 teaspoon or so of water and mix. I  use a foundation brush to apply the watery red concoction to my cheeks and have a cotton ball on-hand to wipe away any beet sediment (did I just say beet sediment?)
*if you want your cheeks to look more dramatic just add more beet-stain to your cheeks!
My Beet cheeks!
     I would say overall I am fairy happy with my homemade makeup. However, making my own makeup has brought a few things to light for me:

   * Homemade makeup is not for folks who like flawless coverage, I suppose that's what all those chemicals are for!

   *Beauty products are personal and making them takes a lot of tweaking ( I am STILL after 6 weeks of no shampoo/no conditioner not enamoured enough by any of my homemade shampoos/conditioners  to post about a fave....yet) 
   
   *And finally and maybe most importantly,I realized that  I don't NEED makeup. I really love makeup and I miss it, I am just not willing to powder my face in chemicals anymore. *sniffle* 

Bye-Bye chemical-laden makeup!
    I really encourage all of you to check out the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database and familiarize yourself with your beauty products. While I think that although it is not everyone's dig to make their own products-it's always good to be informed.

If you have a natural beauty secret aside from your natural beauty (you can share that too I suppose :)-please share! 
 

     




No comments:

Post a Comment