Friday 11 October 2013

Vegan Beluga Tostadas.

Beluga Tostadas
*inspired by the gluten free vegan

    My husband LOVES mexican food, as does my mom, so I had to try and figure out a way to keep something that resembled that kind of deliciousness in my food repertoire (just minus any meat, dairy or gluten and soy if I can manage it). So far my Beluga Tostadas are my husbands and my fave, easy, delicious and meat,fish,soy,dairy,and gluten free!

Ingredients:

3/4 C dried small white beans
3/4 C dried black beans
1/2 C beluga black lentils (namesake)
1/2 cup mixed wild rice
1-2 red peppers chopped
1 purple onion diced
3-4 cloves of garlic pressed
2 T dried oregano
2 t cumin
3 t chili powder
1/4 t cayenne
1-2 t himalayan pink salt
water for cooking/soaking


*tostadas
*avocado
*kale
*salsa/pico de gallo



    The first thing you want to do is soak your beans. However, I use the parboil method to keep my beans from fermenting.
     This method (which is faster) is done by putting your beans in a pot and covering them with about 3 times as much water as beans (here that would be 4.5 C of water). Bring your water (and beans) to a boil and then take them off the heat and let them soak for 1-2 hours. Remember to rinse your beans beforehand and discard the water they have soaked in after.

   Once you have your beans ready you want to put everything into the slow cooker (except rice and beluga lentils). Cover you bean mixture with water so that the water level is about 1-2 inches above your beans.
*With my slow cooker it takes about 6 hours on the high setting to get everything cooked and lovely.
* At about 5 hours you want to add your rinsed beluga lentils
* At about 5 1/2 hours you should add in the rice. You can omit the rice if your "chili" is thick enough for your liking.

Once your "chilli" has cooked just spread it on your tostadas and garnish with kale, avocado and homemade pico-de gallo! Yum!

*If you can't find tostadas, eat this on it's own as a vegan chili, we do!

Enjoy your twigs!








No comments:

Post a Comment