Monday 16 September 2013

Mac and What?!


Vegan & Gluten-free Mac & Cheese
*inspired by the detoxinista


A quick and delicious recipe to end the FIRST  Mama Eats Twigs post.

I went on the search for a good vegan mac n' cheese for my daughter. She loves (loved) it when I make her noodles with butter and parmesan, but alas ALL of those ingredients are out!

Ingredients:

1 bag rice or quinoa pasta
1-2 C baby kale (as much or as little as you like)

1 1/2 C raw cashews
3 T lemon juice (juice of one lemon)
1 C water
1 1/8 t himalayan pink salt
 1/3 C nutritional yeast
1/2 t chili powder
1 clove garlic
1/8 t turmeric
 1/8 t cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
 2 T almond or coconut milk
 black pepper

This recipe is EASY!! All you do is boil you pasta and set aside. Put all ingredients (except pepper) in your food processor and blend! I leave the non-dairy milk until the end so you can decide how thick you want you it. Then mix the cheese sauce with the pasta and stir in you RAW baby greens!

This recipe was a hit in my house, even my husband loved it! But I am going to have to see if I can get my mother-in-law to eat it-she is a skeptic.

Enjoy your twigs!



2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome. I love dairy but dairy doesn't love me. Any meal that satisfies a creamy comfort craving is high on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myles-this mac n' cheese is awesome! You guys have to try it!

    ReplyDelete