Monday 16 September 2013

Best Veggie Burger....EVER!

Gluten-free Veggie Burger (recipe contains eggs)
* inspired by myles tonnies perfect burger

This recipe is kind of ingredient heavy for a burger, but it is worth it! It also REALLY helps if you have a food processor other wise it is a chop-heavy recipe as well.

1 Can chick peas (roughly pureed) *I usually soak now I think it is about 2 1/2 C
1 C gluten-free oats roughly ground into a choppy flour
1 C grated carrots
1/4 C purple onion (minced)
1/2 C chopped basil (you can sub spinach as well)
1 1/2 t cumin
1 T gluten-free Tamari
1 T Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
1 eggs
1 T extra virgin olive oil
3/4 C raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup raw cashews roughly ground
3 large cloves garlic (pressed or minced)
1/2 t Himalayan Pink Salt (to taste)
Black pepper

Mix all ingredients in a big bowl, easiest with you hands. Form them into patties and quickly brown them on each side in a fry pan, I like to use virgin coconut oil for this. Then stick them in the oven at about 300F for 20 minutes.

These burgers are pretty versatile. I have made them with chickpeas and carrots and little else. I have also made them with shredded zucchini, parsley instead of basil and so on and they have always been delicious. However, I once made them with black beans and they didn't turn out so well!

I usually put peanut butter and tomato on them (thank you Jenn!) but they are good on a bun if that's your dig!


Enjoy your twigs!

**UPDATE: I am considering trying this burger with rice rather than flour I am not totally happy with the texture....I will keep you all updated :)

**UPDATE: I tried this recipe again tonight using roughly ground gluten-free oats instead of quinoa flour and added 1/4 cup ground raw cashews and removed one egg. I found that the recipe changes really gave it a wonderful texture and I prefer it. The recipe above has all these edits :)

No comments:

Post a Comment